Grangers Bouncing Around - Clanforum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous Empty Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous

Post  Mr. Pirate Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 pm

As the title displays, I just downloaded NetRadiant, the latest version. I'd like to know how to create a map for Tremulous with it. Could someone maybe give me some basic start-up knowledge? I'm good at figuring things out by myself, so I just want to know how to get into the gist of it and place default bases/etc. to make a basic map. Help pl0x.

-

Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous Empty Re: Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous

Post  Menace13 Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Ugh...I figured the basics out in 10 minutes on my own. All you really gotta know is...

Select: Shift+click

Deselect: Redo that on the object to deselect the one object, press Escape to deselect all objects

Create an object: Use the 2D view. to fix the third dimension, change 2D views from the main one (XY, above view) to XZ or YZ, depending on which direction you need to look at it from.

Deleting an object: Select what you wanna delete, press DELETE. NOT BACKSPACE.

Cut: Click the cut button, use the 2D view to get it where you want, select what you wanna split, and use Shift+Space to do it. Just Space will delete the highlighted half. This is used for ramps, etc. because creating an object only makes rectangles. ALWAYS use this to make corners be cut like this: l_ so they are split and cut is diagonal from the corner to the other side. To do this, overlap the corners so the part you are cutting is completely filled by both. Then do the cut, deselect the walls, and then press delete. NOT BACKSPACE.

Selecting a side of an object: I can't remember but it is some mix of Shift, Command, Control, Alt, Option (whatever your keyboard has) and then clicking on the side of the object in the 3D view. You can tell when you've done it because A: only the side looks selected and B: the edges of the object aren't highlighted with lines. You can drag the mouse across several objects to select several sides of objects, but just be careful to not choose a side facing the void when placing textures.

Textures: Use the selecting a side of an object technique to place textures, so you don't have textures facing the void. That causes lag. In the bottom menu thingy (don't remember what it's called) go through the menus to select the texture you want that object side to have. If an object is not facing the void on any side, it is safe to use the normal select to texture-ize it.

Lighting is easy: Just select the shader for a light, and put it on ONE side of your lamp/whatever. Balancing just requires experimentation. An important thing to know is the difference between shaders and textures. Textures just put an image on a face, whereas shaders can change the properties of the object, like making it light up, or like the forcefields in ATCS, etc.

Doors: Select the object, bring up its properties, change it from worldspawn to door, and change the door properties.

If you have any questions about mapping that I didn't explain, just tell me and I will do my best to explain it.

Menace13
Granger
Granger

Back to top Go down

Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous Empty Re: Mapping in NetRadiant with Tremulous

Post  Mr. Pirate Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:16 pm

So I made a map, can't get it to be a .pk3 though. Just a .map. Help pl0x D:
Also, I placed buildables for bases, but I can't place an Overmind. This a glitch or what? D:
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Menace13 Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

It should be in the same menu as the rest of them to place it...

Menace13
Granger
Granger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah, I redownloaded the Trem pack and I got it. Thanks.
But fr reelz, I'm done my basic map, but it's .map, and I wanna get it to .pk3.
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Mr. Pirate wrote:Yeah, I redownloaded the Trem pack and I got it. Thanks.
But fr reelz, I'm done my basic map, but it's .map, and I wanna get it to .pk3.

send me the .bsp file and i'll make the .pk3

honxr100@gmail.com

i'm too lazy to find and type the tutorial right now
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  KingNickolas Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Does anyone know which is better? Gtk, or net radiant?
I've tried Gtk, but I'm not sure about net radiant... Suspect
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 pm

netradiant has bugfixes and new features I hear
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:00 pm

It's a .map. Meh, I'll try to save as .bsp. Actually, I have a program which changes from .bsp to .pk3, so nevermind.
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:04 pm

make sure you include a levelshot too, and any textures you may have created
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Alright, ignore last post. It saves from NetRadiant as a .map file, and you can't change from .map to .bsp or .pk3. :L
Help pl0x.
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Compiling

Now we are going to compile the map for the first time. I usually compile it several times before this to get the gameflow right. I do this before applying caulk to all brushes.

You can compile with the compiler that came with GTKradiant but it’s better to use the newest q3map2 and Q3Map2Toolz. Since there are a lot of options for compiling I can’t go through all of them, nor should all be used. I will sum up the essential switches and an explanation why.

BSP: Binary Space Partioning, Just do it

Vis: Calculates the visibility from the portals, Performance wise important

Light: Calculates the light, pretty obvious

Custinfoparms (custominforparms): Needed for the nobuild textures.

-meta: I don’t know exactly what it does but it’s needed for advanced compiling. Use it

-patchshadows: Shadows from patches, was previously not available.

-patchmeta: Advised for preventing patches going awry. Not necessary but advised

-bounce: It is a common lightbleeding switch if you don’t know how to use them so don’t at the start.

Testing your map

You can try your map out now by loading up tremulous, pulling down the console by pressing ~ and entering /sv_pure 0 and /devmap mapname.

Now correct the mistakes in gameflow and construction and try again, several times. Don’t worry, your first map will be crap, so will your second probably but practice makes perfect.

Now when the blatant mistakes are removed the alpha stage is complete. You can try and submit it to tremulous.info to get it on the derelict server as a beta but only maps which have some work and potential behind them will get on. I advice to never release or even mention maps in alpha stage unless you are having problems you can’t find the answer to on the internet.

this was taken from http://tremmapping.pbworks.com/Starting-Tremulous-Mapping#Compiling
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:39 pm

So all compilers I've touched have broken. The Toolz one has no maps in the .map list, for some reason, even though they were there before. The Mapacker can't open my .map, and I really don't know what to do. To make matters worse my computer says I don't have access to delete the damned NetRadiant folder, which I created in the first place. Wtf. SO all my progress so far is-
1. .map file of the map
2. invisible .pk3.
I need step-by-step instructions. That tutorial you gave me, Glameow, says that there's a NetRadiant compiler. I don't know how to get to it. Tips? :L
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 pm

send the .map to me via email and i'll see what i can do

my email is:

honxr100@gmail.com
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  KingNickolas Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Yeah, your right glameow, its way better.
I just made a map for practice, but I only have one problem i can't figure out...

The spectator cannot move very far away from where i marked the spot as Player intermission.
Maybe I just have to reboot the map on vanilla version...
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 pm

odd, the spectator can't fly around?

is the spawn in the map lol
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hovel Humper Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:14 am

I've gave a try at mapping, i didn't get very far. Even with a full tutorial! Very Happy

I hope you do better than me dude! Smile
The Hovel Humper
The Hovel Humper
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks Glameow, gonna send now.
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  KingNickolas Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 pm

GLAMEOW wrote:odd, the spectator can't fly around?

is the spawn in the map lol

It's in there...
Hold on, let me try a couple more things.

*Edit*
You can move for a little while, but then for some reason, you start to be forced back into where the player intermission is...
I have no idea what it is, any help?

Last edited by kingnickolas on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit)
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 pm

I have an issue....
When I hit the Build button in Q3Map2Toolz, it says something about paths not being correct, but the paths are right. ;_;
I'm on Vista btw. scratch
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Mr. Pirate wrote:
I'm on Vista

F A I L
GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  KingNickolas Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Vista fails pirate.
And maybe something more than just that paths are not correct.
Are you sure your building with caulk on outside and textures on inside?
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:43 pm

I didnt Caulk. Thought it wasn't necessary for tiny maps.
Also, I DIDN'T BUY THIS COMPUTER DAMMIT. ;_;
I heard there was a way to convert .maps into .bsps with a comand prompt. Discuss?
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  KingNickolas Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Always caulk, caulk is your best friend. Caulk puts the map together.
I didn't hear about that at all... (The command prompt) Idk wtf is up man. More explaining pl0x.
Make sure to test your map after it is done. (Go to Build menu.)
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pirate Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:40 pm

When I configure Trem I get a ton of errors. They correspond with the presets in the compiler. Also, when I open the compiler, I get a message saying 'The path to botcompiler is missing or invalid. Restart Toolz to reset.' But that happens whenever I open toolz. Just started happening now.
Mr. Pirate
Mr. Pirate
Dragoon
Dragoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next