Grangers Bouncing Around - Clanforum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Gen Versus the New Gen

4 posters

Go down

Old Gen Versus the New Gen Empty Old Gen Versus the New Gen

Post  KingNickolas Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Overall, I've always said that the old gen was always better than the newer gen. After all, this newer gen just doesn't give the same sense of nostalgia that the old one always seems to give. But, In my opinion, that's certainly not the whole story.

It's true that the older games are pretty great. When I say older games, i mean from gamecube era and downwards. But what really makes them so great is the game-play. These games were always so great because you could have fun even without all your buddies over for a lan game. In fact, the whole reason why the video game industry has exploded since it's day-bew way back when, was the playability of games. It's the reason why games like ocarina of time became legends. It was because the games were just simply really fun to play. I mean, look at games like Super mario, Goldeneye, the first few "cocks o duty", and the first few resident evil games. They hardly had any system of multiplayer, yet they were still awesome games. People could spend hours upon hours looking through the big levels throughout the games to explore the new world in front of them. The controls were simple, and everything was noob-prone. It was great.

But though the older games WERE in face great, they still had their major downfalls. For one, the multiplayer systems. To tell you the truth, i hate playing a video game all alone by myself, and that's mostly because it gets boring as hell. Sure I can suck it up and play through on things like campaigns, but those get really boring after you do it 9 times. There needs to be something else that players can fall back on in order to combat that boredom with the games. Like for example, doing a competition to see who can get the most points in a mario game, the most kills in cocks o duty, who can come out as the best player in goldeneye, but that only works if you can get a friend to come over to your house, or if you can go over to your house. Generally, a player won't be able to do shit with a video game if there is nobody around him to make it more fun. This is where the older games really bomb the exam. With no inter-player interaction, there is no entertainment. Our society is based partly on sociability, and players need to have that interaction or they'll just be fucking losers sitting in their house playing the same lame game every day.

This, not surprisingly, is where new gen games take the plate. Noways we have things like the internet, and wifi that make gaming an incredible experience. Of course the old gen games had these things too, but everything was extremely and excruciatingly limited. In new gen games, the developers make sure that there is a role of player interaction in their games. They can make everything done with other players online. You can play co-op on a campaign, you can play teams or an all out death match in the multiplayer, the xbox 360 system even makes the ability to talk to people, no matter what your doing, a reality. Technological advances have made the gaming industry an amazing intuitive community in which gamers can spend their time with other gamers all across the world. There's no longer any need for a friend to come over, or for you to go to their house. You can just play online with each other!

Though it's still pretty great, the new gen games are still not as great as they're put out to be. It's kind of like the gaming world has traded the old awesome playability for the new interactive way of gaming. Increasingly there are glitches in the system, latency problems, and extreme flame that can happen with today's gaming. Plus there's the problem of gaming becoming increasingly generic for first person shooter games. Not only any of that, but games have slowly been becoming less noob-friendly (for hardcore games anyways.) On multiplayer, a noob can't help but be overwhelmed with the amount and varieties of pro and normal players. It's almost impossible now days to just pick up a controller and play like you've owned the game. Nowadays, people have to work to learn tactics, which can take time away from life, and be quite annoying to those who just want to have fun. That is much different from the older games. Sure, they weren't exactly noob friendly either, but at least they gave the players a chance without slaughtering them with pro/luck bullshit. The learning curve wasn't that high at all. In fact, it used to be quite low, and all the games that are meant for noobs today are cheap and suck balls. (Cock o duty 4: modernfuckshitstupid) (Brownies to those of you who get the reference btw.)

All in all, the kinks of gaming have not, and may never be fulfilled. Specifically if the world ends next year. (Hooray!) But it's still nice to see the progression that we are taking in this.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Too long?

Nice wall bro?

Yeah, fuck you faggots. 134rn 2 R34D!!11!!one!!
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Old Gen Versus the New Gen Empty Re: Old Gen Versus the New Gen

Post  QweefZilLa Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I agree but the last paragraph doesn't fit the bill with socom ... socom has a steep learning curve and is hard to get good at if you weren't playing socom in the begining its hard to get into it and become good. but as the socom series moved to the ps3 they made it more noob friendly so that people that were use to cod or any other shooter could ease them selves to the newer socoms without getting annihilated by the hard core socom players from the previous games... this really pissed me off because now the series of socom has a feel like most other shooters which sucks I loved socom because it was different from all the other online shooters out there, sure the game was hard as fuck at first but that was the fun it took me years of online play to get to the point im at now in the game ... Ive been playing socom online for well over 4 years and I still learn techniques and stuff on the same maps I've played 100 times. I could go on and on about how great the ps2 socoms are ... I've never had so much joy from any of the next generation shooters that the mainstream like !!! I still play my ps2 more than my xbox 360 and I played my ps2 more when I had my ps3 also.
QweefZilLa
QweefZilLa
Granger
Granger

Back to top Go down

Post  DucTape Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 am

I mostly play NES, N64, Gamegear, all on real systems, and a GBC emulator on my calc. Well, and computer stuff.
DucTape
DucTape
Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post  GLAMEOW Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 am

GLAMEOW
GLAMEOW
Pokémon FTW
Pokémon FTW

Back to top Go down

Post  KingNickolas Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:07 pm

QweefZilLa wrote:I agree but the last paragraph doesn't fit the bill with socom ... socom has a steep learning curve and is hard to get good at if you weren't playing socom in the begining its hard to get into it and become good. but as the socom series moved to the ps3 they made it more noob friendly so that people that were use to cod or any other shooter could ease them selves to the newer socoms without getting annihilated by the hard core socom players from the previous games... this really pissed me off because now the series of socom has a feel like most other shooters which sucks I loved socom because it was different from all the other online shooters out there, sure the game was hard as fuck at first but that was the fun it took me years of online play to get to the point im at now in the game ... Ive been playing socom online for well over 4 years and I still learn techniques and stuff on the same maps I've played 100 times. I could go on and on about how great the ps2 socoms are ... I've never had so much joy from any of the next generation shooters that the mainstream like !!! I still play my ps2 more than my xbox 360 and I played my ps2 more when I had my ps3 also.

I agree with that. In fact, there are many older games that are harder to play than newer games. I was just going with the stereotypical simplistic old age game. I'm sure there are plenty of older games that are more confusing than anything than the current generation of gamers have ever saw ( Example ). I'm also sure that there are some newer games that are confusing as fuck. ( Example II )
KingNickolas
KingNickolas
Bouncing Granger!
Bouncing Granger!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum